I have a few weaknesses-that it doesn't seem to matter if I need any more or not (and believe me, I don't NEED any more stuff) lip gloss, black yoga pants, boots and cute exercise accessories. I suppose I figure that if I can't be the fastest or the most coordinated person out there, at least I can look cute while I'm at it.
I was volunteering at a race expo before a marathon last week (I didn't run this one, but maybe next year)--so I wandered around the booths to see what was out there and there was a booth full of headbands. They were cute, but I knew I had most of the supplies at home, so I decided to try making my own.
16 inches of pattern ribbon (1" width)
16 inches of velvet ribbon (1" width)
7-8 inches of braided elastic
(FYI, velvet ribbon is expensive, so use your Hobby Lobby or Joanne's coupon)
1. Cut each of your ribbons and place them together, wrong sides together.
2. Fold the ends of the ribbons under and place under the presser foot of the sewing machine. This is the trickiest part.
3. Sew along the edge of the ribbon as close to the edge as possible (I adjusted the needle on my machine to the far right).
4. When you get about 2 inches from the end, fold those edges under like you did at the other end and sew to the edge. Do the same thing on the other long side.
5. Slide the elastic into one end of the headband about 1/2" and sew across 3-4 times to secure. Repeat on the other end (make sure that the elastic is not twisted).
You might want to use another headband or measure your head before you start to make any changes to the length.
Now I'm ready for running...and for an upcoming trip!