Saturday, May 28, 2011

Address Subway Art

Pin It

Of course, you all know how much I like subway art and my latest craft crush has been the subway art that has all the addresses that you've lived at. I really liked the one at Tatertots and Jello. I've been doing some smaller projects with my Silhouette SD and felt like I'd figured it out enough to take on a 20x30 piece of canvas. My addresses are places I've lived since I graduated from high school. I'm really liking it, but I may do some tweaking (nice thing about vinyl is that I can!)

I found this charming piece of art at the DI. (I'm sure someone's mother had to have it hanging on their wall with pride once upon a time). Anyway, I painted over it with some leftover black paint (it was satin enamel)--I did not prime, but I did use a putty knife to knock off some of the larger blobs of paint.


The painted canvas waited patiently in my garage for me to decide how to do the lettering. I toyed with vinyl, but weeding out the letters to make stencils so I could do an "aged" look. Then I thought about cutting out the letters from old books, but I really haven't had that great of luck with paper and the Silhouette sticky mat yet. So, back to vinyl. Turns out, I really love the look and it saved me the step of painting and distressing it.

Next, I created the placement of the addresses on the Silhouette software. I made the document size 19X 36, even though I know that the machine can't do material that wide. Once I got all the text just the way I wanted, I created 2 new blank documents that were 9x36 and copied and pasted the addresses in so that everything fit. I printed it at speed 2, depth 3 (I used Orocal 651 vinyl since it is very sticky).


I did the tedious process of weeding out all the vinyl that I didn't need, then I laid all the pieces out to make sure they were where I wanted them, then adhered transfer tape to each phrase. I used my quilting/rotary cutting guide to help me keep everything all in straight rows. This was not a fast project, but good for when you are watching a movie.


I haven't decided on the final location for this art. I had thought it would go in the basement, but I'm kinda liking it on the kitchen wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.